sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ./configure cache?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ./configure cache?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:26:52 +0100

Seth Woolley wrote:
> Maybe put config.cache in where the depends info is, then a cast -r can
> clear it. Store it with a hash of the dependency info and CFLAGS, etc.,;
> if it changes, it has to run configure again? If config.cache use
> fails, just have it run configure without it, as you say.
>
> Although config cache is mostly useful if you are doing debugging and
> rebuilding the same version all the time with minor code tweaks.

Ah, I must've been a little unclear.
The config.cache is not a spell-specific thing.
Multiple spells can use the same cache, this way e.g compiling kde gets
sped up quite a bit. If anything is missing in the cache file they add it,
if it's already there they use it.

However, config.cache use will NOT fail if system contents have changed,
e.g a specific header added or removed. They will silently assume that
header is still in the state it was when that cache entry was generated,
not double-checking since that would be against the purpose of a cache.
(the purpose of a cache is to be right, wasn't that what we said once ;-)

Therefore, it does not only have to get cleared by a -r.
Any spells that do anything with libraries can potentially disrupt the
cache. I would suggest those would be all with "\.h$" matching anywhere
in their install log. Unfortunately, I guess the cache would simply
have to be deleted after a cast of one of them. I would not advise us
to delete the cache based on the install log though. This should be
set intelligently by the spell writers... (if they can manage)

So Far,
Karsten