sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sorcery model proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sorcery model proposal
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:06:43 -0800

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:58:16PM +0100, neuron wrote:
> > > I propose new sorcery model:
> > > No more grimoire tarballs, scribe downloads indexes. Cast first checks
> > > these
> > > indexes, then downloads spell(s) and installs software.
> > All I say is:
> > xdelta
>
> from man xdelta:
>
> "Xdelta provides the ability to generate deltas between a pair of
> files ..."
>
> How is that similar to remote update ? I mean how would user update
> sorcery from 4.5.2001 to sorcery 7.8.2005 ? By day-to-day deltas ?

Well, either a) you get the latest full snapshot, or b) get every patch
between your version and the current or c) some combination of a and
b. A lot of this amusing guesswork on whats the best thing to do is in
some scms (like arch for axample). In some cases its actually a lot
less efficient to get lots of xdeltas than it is to just get the friggin
file. Its not my idea of fun to have that sort of stuff in sorcery. Hence,
rsyncing the unpacked directory solves the problem with minimal extra
work for us.

Rsync. The acronym KISS comes to mind. "keep it simple stupid".

:-)

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |