sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cvs updates for spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cvs updates for spells
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:13:57 +0100

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:06:17PM +0100, Ladislav Hagara wrote:

> >>I noticed that we've moved back to date versioning for some spells that
> >>are downloaded from cvs. This is cool and all but some don't update for
> >>a while. I was wondering if we can have it so that when sorcery runs
> >>cvs update on it and if nothing changes then we just skip the casting of
> >>the spell. Otherwise if the cvs repository isn't updated for a week and
> >>you run a sorcery system-update every day you don't have to recompile
> >>these packages everyday for no reason.
> >>
> >>Is that possible? Just an idea from a user.
> >
> >I hate having `date something` for a cvs spell...
> >I ussualy put cvs in the version field if I do a cvs option for the
> >spell...
>
> For our users is really better to use VERSION=$(date +%Y%m%d).
> Is is the only one way as to ensure our users have up-to-date sources.
> Of course there are some drawbacks, for example 30 versions of mplayer
> in /var/cache/sorcery directory. ;-)
>
> I agree with Jeremy. I am for that new feature of sorcery too.

If something could be done in sorcery to drop compiling a cvs spell when
nothing changed (maybe parsing the cvs update output?) that would be
very nice.
But even without it using $(date ...) is definitely the way to go,
otherwise users will never get updates on the spells unless they cast -c
them themselves. For spells like ffmpeg-cvs or explicitly chosen cvs in
mplayer users might remember to do that every now and then, but I doubt
many people think about it when using pure cvs spells.

http://www.sourcemage.org