sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] nvidia_driver

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <a_bouter AT ezrs.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] nvidia_driver
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:12:21 +0100

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:24:38 +0100
Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 12. Dezember 2004 11:07 schrieb Craig Dyke:
> > Howdy
> >
> > Is anyone else having problems with the nvidia_driver and 2.6.10-rc3
> > kernel?
> >
> > I seem to get the following when I cast -c nvidia_driver:
> >
> > nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
> > nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
> > nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
> >
> > Just curious if only me?
>
> uh - which version of the driver?
>
> would have to do some test builds, but if i remember correctly it is the
> same
> that you get with driver 1.0-6111 and kernel 2.6.9 unless you use the
> patch...
> ... but then nividia released 1.0-6629 which works fine with 2.6.9
>
> However, i just noticed that one did roll back the driver in test because
> of
> issues with TNT cards...
>
> Actually i remember the nvidia driver being way less stable on my old TNT1
> and

> TNT2 cards than on my GForce2MX, but that is quite some time ago. Can
> anyone
> tell me how well the drivers did work on TNT cards in the last year?
>
> The point is: i doubt that there will be a new driver soon, and i doubt
> that a

> new driver will work perfectly with that old cards. What shall we do?

We might want to split the driver, there's little doubt that nvidia will fix
this, as it has been quite a while now and there still is no news from them.
We could keep the 6111 version for tnt2 cards, and get the new driver into the
grimoire for all other nvidia cards.

Plan B would be to advise tnt2 owners to use the nv module, which would mean
no
acceleration for them.

On nvidia's forums i've seen a patch, but that seems to break more than it
fixes, you can get into X, but it would be highly unstable...

Arjan