sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [Cauldron] Meeting Planning

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [Cauldron] Meeting Planning
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:51:32 -0800

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:48:49PM +0100, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Benoit PAPILLAULT a ?crit :
> >>Hence, in order to get a definite schedule of what to do for the 1.0 ISO
> >>and general rethinking of our releases plan, I think having a cauldron
> >>meeting is needed.
>
> I updated my wiki page on the work i'm doing for SourceMage at :
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=BenoitPAPILLAULTWork
>
> It's not yet completed and I'm not a wiki guru. However, if someone has
> some suggestion about the features that should be or should not be in
> the next ISO, he can edit the page and add his features request.
>
> I know that Andrew Stitt and Eric Sandalle have already made some
> suggestions. They can correct it if I wrote them wrong.
>
> So, anyone can add his requests under the "REQUESTS" section at
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=BenoitPAPILLAULTWork
>
> We can discuss features here (on the sm-discuss list) or privately by
> email. However, I will use the wiki page as a work document.

I believe you've misquoted and/or misinterprited my request to have all
network related programs "installed"

"- [afrayednot] the ISO must install all spells that can be needed to get
Internet access, for instance dhcpcd."

What I had meant was that all the spells required to get online (or why
not just all the spells included on the iso) should have their cache
tarballs copied into /var/cache/sorcery.

The reason it matters for network programs is because without a network
its difficult to install something without the source. You have to do
the following:

1) mount iso (most newbies wont know to do this)
2) copy cache files to the relatively obscure /var/cache/sorcery location
3) cast spell

most newbies arent going to get past 1 without help and certainly
almost anyone new to our system isnt know to know to copy the files in
/var/cache/sorcery, they are strangers in a strange land.

this is as opposed to a one step process of

1) cast spell

I think the iso should be relatively forgiving of little mistakes like
accidentally not installing dhcpcd, the user shouldnt have to completely
reinstall to get it right.

-Andrew