sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Moving to Maildir

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: jean-Noël Chardron <Jean-Noel.Chardron AT dr15.cnrs.fr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, robin AT kallisti.net.nz
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Moving to Maildir
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:12:50 +0100

hello,
robin wrotes this message in July 2004 :

OK, here is my promised query regarding making dovecot and procmail all behaving nicely with maildir. If anyone is using maildir, could you please show me the contents of your /etc/procmailrc (if it exists), and if you are using maildir and dovecot, your /etc/dovecot.conf?

I Have not /etc/procmailrc but $Home/.procmailrc

===========this is my .procmailrc ================

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:
MAILDIR = /mail/mail2/chardron
# note the "/" at the end for the maildir format
DEFAULT = $MAILDIR/
LOGFILE = $HOME/.logfile

## testing with joe #################
:0:
* ^From.*joe*
.joe/

:0:
.SPAM/

# All mail tagged as spam (eg. with a score higher than the set threshold)
# is moved to "probably-spam".
:0:
.SPAM/

# Work around procmail bug: any output on stderr will cause the "F" in "From"
# to be dropped. This will re-add it.
:0
* ^^rom[ ]
{
LOG="*** Dropped F off From_ header! Fixing up. "

:0 fhw
| sed -e '1s/^/F/'
}

=====================end of .procmailrc ==================

The setup I would like to have is an equivalent of my current mbox setup: inbox=/var/spool/mail/username, and other folders exist in ~/.imap. The reason for doing it this way is that if /home fills up (which happens from time to time) mail doesn't get lost, it just ends up in the inbox.

The problems I had is that I couldn't get dovecot to see the /var/spool/mail/username dir as the inbox, and I couldn't convince procmail to deliver to there by default, as though it was maildir. It seemed to be just chucking messages in there as .../MSG.xyz.
I tried with the dovecot option:
default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
And the /etc/procmailrc was something like:
ORGMAIL=/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME/

My Question :

I am interresting in the same way, did you find a solution for this ?
(in Maildir format with Inbox in //var/spool/mail and personnal folder in
~/.imap/)

thanks

jean noel