sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] excluded/protected files

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] excluded/protected files
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:44:16 -0700

> Since this change is entirely local to sorcery (meaning we don't need
> the grimoire/sorcery backwards compatibility bugaboo), we should be able
> to insert ^......$ in the excluded/protected files where they should be
> needed at the same time the patch goes in to support this. I think we
> should do this because it will avoid issues in the future.
I guess it was implied that both the addition of ^ and $ anchors and
the new filter would be done as one change :)

> I really like your proposed change, but I would like it better if we are
> really accurate about what's in those excluded and protected files.
What do you mean? right now its only files except for a useless glob
on perl directories. I guess I forgot to allude to my master plan
where spells can make their own custom versions of these files (and
others for other purposes) so that way they dont have to adjust the
sorcery files.

> LOCAL_EXCLUDED shouldn't be needed; In fact, a grep of all grimoires
> shows that LOCAL_EXCLUDED is in fact not used at all so people would
> have to add files to /etc/sorcery/local/excluded manually to be
> affected. I also checked for writes to /etc/sorcery/local/excluded
> directly bypassing the global variable name for it, and still, nothing.

I think the purpose of this was so that if someone really wanted to
exclude things on their own box they could manually put things in
that file. I cant imagine many people do that though since its
not very well advertised.

> There's really no harm in keeping the LOCAL_EXCLUDED "feature"/"cruft",
> is there? I'd say, do what you feel like, if you feel like removing
> cruft, then we've been warned.

I havent decided on this one yet...

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |