sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L" <lejatorn AT linuxmail.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:17:31 +0000

> > Hey all!
> > Just wanted to bring this up again, it was on the list years ago, IIRC.
> > The basic idea is that everyone willing runs an ftp server on their
> > /var/spool/sorcery, giving us a huge network of mirrors.
>
> Aren't we reinventing the wheel here a bit ? What about making new url
> handler for bittorrent and perhaps make a tool for running BT server
> easilly for people ?
>
> > What's the count on people interested?
> I could run such a server.
>
> > Who could run a central server for round-robin?
>
> I can't promise I'll bee 100% time online ...

Well, my main box won't be 100% time online but I could run the tracker on
the box which is supposed to become my mailserver (i.e always online), this
asap I get a new hard drive for this box.
But I assume there must be some other smgl boxes always online? For the ones
who don't know BT well yet: we only need a box which can be 100% time online
to run the tracker, this box doesn't have to host anything else and won't
have such a network burden on it, it will just redirect the incoming requests
to the boxes which actually host the shared files (that is if I understood
well BT principle of course :) )

Cheers,
Mathieu.

We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.