sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery, and beyond

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery, and beyond
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:41:58 +1200

Ignore that, I found the feature request part of the bugs thing.

Cheers, Duane

Duane Malcolm wrote:
Hi,

Can I request a simple feature? I look at the activity log a lot using "less /var/log/sorcery/activity". Can We include this in sorcery as "gaze log"? Is this possible? I was going to file a bug but it's not really a bug.

Cheers, Duane.

Andrew wrote:

Devel sorcery is begining to reach a critical mass of features and I would
like some feedback on what work I should complete before calling it 1.11.

Users of devel have been enjoying (or not) that depends info is
only commited to the state records when a spell actually installs
successfully. However the major drawback for that is if the spell fails,
you lose all the answers you gave about optional depends and such. I
have a rough plan on how to implement it and make that area of sorcery
nice and friendly. However it will take me a week or two given my evening
coding schedule.

Along with that the md5 checker in cleanse --fix is a little to strict
so I think for now we should revert to just cripple it to check only
binaries until theres a better infrastructure in place for tracking
files shared between spells.

After that theres one or two minor enhancements I can add in short notice.

So I guess the question I pose is, do we want to wait for me to get the
libdepends queries spiffed up in a week or two, or push devel into test
sooner and thus release stable (without that feature) sooner.

If we go without that feature I can code it up after words and have a very
minimal 1.12 in September. If we go with the feature I would imagine that
the next stable (with many more improvements) will be done in october.

As for those future features, my rough mental list is as follows:
sorcery upgrade hooks (so we can change persistent state data)
*the infamous "installed grimoire" (more state info)
*delve (run individual spell commands, allows lower level control)
*bless (menu generator)
*better resurrect support
*yet more depends "stuff" (dealing with failures, cross grimoire depends,
dispel, and maybe sub-depends)
*possible adjustments to triggers

What do we want to be around for iso releases? Or specifically the
september iso release?

-Andrew