sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] esd quitting after a couple of songs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] esd quitting after a couple of songs
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:08:01 +0200

Mads Laursen wrote:
On 06/08/04 08.44, Eric Sandall wrote:

Quoting Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>:

Well I am open for suggestions....

I was using alsa on its own before, but I could only have one sound stream at a time, which is not ideal, so if there is another solution please let me know. I agree that esd is evil, but it is the lesser evil when compared to apps hanging because they are waiting for the sound device to be released. Maybe alsa has this working now?

I believe it does, since I could play my music (rhythmbox) and have two Never
Winter Nights windows opened (using `Xnest`) and I heard all the sounds. :)
You'll want to make sure that xmms is using the ALSA interface and not the OSS
(default, IIRC).

I some trouble finding it, but the feature is called DMIX, and it
works quite well.

My xmms is set to ALSA, with the 'Audio Device' set to 'pcm.dmix'.

Thanks for this, it worked as root but not otherwise, I have put myself in the audio group, but I must be missing something. If I pick from the list of drivers I have no problems, and have still not tried playing more than one stream at once.

And since I don't want to bother with stuff like gaim, that like esd,
I jus put this in my /etc/esd.conf:
[esd]
auto_spawn=1
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -d pcm.dmix
spawn_wait_ms=100

Hope this helps.
When I figure out the mixing rights I will put this in there.

Thanks for the tips.

Rohan