sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] esd quitting after a couple of songs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] esd quitting after a couple of songs
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:03:27 +0200

Well I am open for suggestions....

I was using alsa on its own before, but I could only have one sound stream at a time, which is not ideal, so if there is another solution please let me know. I agree that esd is evil, but it is the lesser evil when compared to apps hanging because they are waiting for the sound device to be released. Maybe alsa has this working now?

Rohan

Jeremy Kolb wrote:
Do you really need esd? It's evil!

Jeremy

Quoting Rohan Nicholls <rohan.nicholls AT pareto.nl>:

Sound. I have it up and running, I have a realtek ac 97 card.

At the moment this is the sound part of the dmesg.

cpci_hotplug: CompactPCI Hot Plug Core version: 0.2
pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
shpchp: acpi_shpchprm:\_SB_.PCI0 evaluate _BBN fail=0x5
shpchp: acpi_shpchprm:get_device PCI ROOT HID fail=0x5
hw_random: RNG not detected
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49573 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.6 to 64
b44.c:v0.94 (May 4, 2004)

I included the hotplug stuff as I thought it might be pertinent. So should I be installing the AC 97 drivers from Realtek (which I needed to get sound working on a 2.4 kernel.

The esd thing is that I call it a boot and then for unknown reasons it seems to shut itself down. Often it is when xmms finishes a song. Then I have to start it up again, any one else run into this?

Thanks,

Rohan