sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr/share/info/dir

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: Ladislav Hagara <hgr AT vabo.cz>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr/share/info/dir
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:43:50 -0700

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:26:14PM +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:
> > The file is for info pages, most spells that have info pages touch this
> > file, and until rescently it wasnt excluded from install logs.

> Some spells contain POST_REMOVE with "install-info --delete xxx --info-dir
> $INSTALL_ROOT/usr/info" (of course it should be /usr/share/info now).
> Is possible to catch these info files by sorcery during cast and during
> dispel
> automatically run "install-info --delete ..." ?
> It would be fine. :-))

Actually that wont fix it.
cast foo
cast bar
cast baz

foo has the md5sum of info with "foo" installed
bar has the md5sum of info with "foo" and "bar" installed
baz has the md5sum of info with "foo", "bar" and "baz" installed

baz has the correct md5sum, foo and bar do not.

dispel bar

info now has the md5sum for "foo" and "baz"'s additions, so neither foo,
nor baz have the proper md5sum for the file.

What we've done is make info "excluded" so no new spells will track it.
Existing spells will still have it, but you can use alter to md5 mend
it out, or rebuild.

This is of course a much bigger problem then just info, the same
things could happen with other spells, if you really want to discuss
more permanent solutions we can...but it will be rather boring and
disheartening, and there aren't any reasonable short term solutions other
than the ones I've already discussed. The more long term solutions I
just haven't implemented yet because there are a number of challenges to
overcome, and I'm actively working to solve other, vaguely more important
problems (install_root)....

In short, we could a) ignore the problem b) hack in a fix or c) fix it
the right way.

Right now im going to do "a", and suggest you either alter or rebuild the
confused spells, or turn off md5sum checking, "b" is what used to be done,
and the current state of sorcery is a good example of what happens. "c"
will be done in the future when I've got some other things done first.

-Andrew