sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MUAs . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MUAs . . .
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:43:59 -0700

Quoting "jason AT flattfamily.com" <jason AT flattfamily.com>:
> Howdy all.
>
> Because I use Kontact (Kmail) for e-mail and because I upgraded gcc/g++ to
> the latest devel version (3.4.1) and because Qt uses c++ and broke when I
> upgraded gcc/g++ and because my computer doesn't like to compile for long
> periods and randomly freezes when it does (I don't know why), I have been
> checking my e-mail using http://www.mail2web.com/.
>
> I find checking my e-mail that way to be slow and cumbersome. I also don't
> have little niceties like spell checkers (I'm a really lousy speller, as
> I'm sure you'll see in this message) and auto signatures using that web
> mail service. I have in the past threatened to move away from an e-mail
> client that was so suseptible to changes in other apps, but I have yet to
> find anything that seemed to be less suseptible w/o going to a CLI client.
>
> So, the idea that I've come up with is to standardize on the mail data
> format (maildir, mbox, whatever), and to have two or three e-mail clients
> installed that will all read and write the same data files (even if they're
> not allowed to do it simultaneously). Most (maybe all) of the e-mail
> clients I've looked at have claimed standards compliance, compatibility,
> using common date formats, etc., etc., etc., yet none of the ones I have
> tried have given what (I believe) they claim.
>
> My question is does anyone know of any helpful documentation which compares
> and contrasts e-mail data formats and the e-mail clients that use them so
> that I may achieve the Nirvana of e-mail reading? Or does anyone have any
> first hand experience they would care to share?

Instead of using an MUA, I use my own webmail server. However, since I use
IMAP
for my webmail server's connection, any IMAP-aware MUA (Thunderbird, mutt,
kmail, evolution, Outlook, etc.) can use it (IMAPS for external connections,
of
course ;)) for getting my e-mail from anywhere in the world.

-sandalle