sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] MUAs . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "jason AT flattfamily.com" <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] MUAs . . .
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:01:17 -0400

Howdy all.

Because I use Kontact (Kmail) for e-mail and because I upgraded gcc/g++ to
the latest devel version (3.4.1) and because Qt uses c++ and broke when I
upgraded gcc/g++ and because my computer doesn't like to compile for long
periods and randomly freezes when it does (I don't know why), I have been
checking my e-mail using http://www.mail2web.com/.

I find checking my e-mail that way to be slow and cumbersome. I also don't
have little niceties like spell checkers (I'm a really lousy speller, as
I'm sure you'll see in this message) and auto signatures using that web
mail service. I have in the past threatened to move away from an e-mail
client that was so suseptible to changes in other apps, but I have yet to
find anything that seemed to be less suseptible w/o going to a CLI client.

So, the idea that I've come up with is to standardize on the mail data
format (maildir, mbox, whatever), and to have two or three e-mail clients
installed that will all read and write the same data files (even if they're
not allowed to do it simultaneously). Most (maybe all) of the e-mail
clients I've looked at have claimed standards compliance, compatibility,
using common date formats, etc., etc., etc., yet none of the ones I have
tried have given what (I believe) they claim.

My question is does anyone know of any helpful documentation which compares
and contrasts e-mail data formats and the e-mail clients that use them so
that I may achieve the Nirvana of e-mail reading? Or does anyone have any
first hand experience they would care to share?

-- Jason Flatt (Oadae)

http://mail2web.com/ .