sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell's Data Files Location . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew "ruskie" Levstik <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell's Data Files Location . . .
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:10:07 +0200

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:36:24 -0700
Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com> wrote:

> I'm creating a spell for a program that prints a map of Middle Earth and
> then
> allows you to see specific areas by name. The spell is pretty much done,
> except for that one minorly annoying "feature": the program requires its
> data
> files to be in the current working directory. My problem is that I don't
> know what to do with the data files. Should I copy them to the ~ directory
> or to /usr/share, or ...? Where ever the data files are copied, the user
> will have to change to that directory before running the program. I'm
> thinking that the home directory would be best, because of that, but the
> files won't be tracked, and I think that would be messy to just drop 10 or
> 12
> files to the ~ directory.
>
> --
> Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
> Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)
> Linux user (http://www.sourcemage.org/)
> IRC Nick: Oadae Channels: #sourcemage, #lvlug Server: irc.freenode.net

Did you think about puting both data files and the executable into the
/usr/share dir and then making a script to launch it from there....

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

For all the knowledge...
I will prevail...
If I fail nothing is left...
All is lost...
Never to be seen again...
Nevermore...

Key ID = 32FE2034
Key fingerprint = EF36 041B E2A5 4E6F 7B3E 6B45 C0F2 E234 32FE 2034