sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Spell's Data Files Location . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Spell's Data Files Location . . .
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:36:24 -0700

I'm creating a spell for a program that prints a map of Middle Earth and then
allows you to see specific areas by name. The spell is pretty much done,
except for that one minorly annoying "feature": the program requires its data
files to be in the current working directory. My problem is that I don't
know what to do with the data files. Should I copy them to the ~ directory
or to /usr/share, or ...? Where ever the data files are copied, the user
will have to change to that directory before running the program. I'm
thinking that the home directory would be best, because of that, but the
files won't be tracked, and I think that would be messy to just drop 10 or 12
files to the ~ directory.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)