sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] perl_spell_creator

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vladimír Marek <vlmarek AT volny.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] perl_spell_creator
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:26:21 +0200

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:57:29PM +0200, Eric Schabell wrote:

> > The main disadvantage to generate perl spells dynamically on the fly is
> > for me that we would force user to configure CPAN to be able to cast any
> > perl script. For offline users just holding /var/spool/sorcery/* this
> > would be bad news. What do you think about this ?
> >
> Seems to be the perfect way to not use sourcemage tools and
> functionality, such as tracking installs and cached sources and building
> offline (as you stated).
>
> I think we are better off not using CPAN, it is avail for those that
> want it, but should not be the default. I like dispelling all the
> modules I no longer use after a sw project completes and I move on to a
> new direction of perl'ing.
>
> Don't be discouraged by this, just be more creative! ;-)
> erics

I should clarify why I am doing this first :) All current perl spells
are wrong, they are missing hook on reinstalling perl to reinstall
itself. Most of the scripts does not maintain dependency between other
perl spells (at least most I saw). So I satrted to think about a way how
to create perl spells in semi-automitic way, with information from CPAN.
Then on irc were some discussion about turn it into per-request
automatic spell creationon for everyone. As you said, I don't see it
likely but wanted to bring it on.

This tool should help perl modules maintainer. (However, I'm thinking a
bit about make it more general, to create arbitrary spells, but ssssh,
that's yet secret :).

--
Neruon