sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 biarch and smgl

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] AMD64 biarch and smgl
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:32:27 -0700

Quoting Jose Bernardo Silva <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>:
> Hi!
>
> I am still fighting with getting gcc native on my athlon64 (segfaults doing
> "make bootstrap" in the intermediate stage), and several questions are
> popping
> up already. The first is obviously on getting cross-install working enough
> so
> that one can do a complete conversion like linuxfromscratch is trying to do
> (and does if you're installing it for the same architecture).
> But the big problem will be having 32 bits and 64 bits libraries at the same
> time (why? think binary drivers - nvidia, ati, etc.). The standard is to
> have
> native (64bits) libs in /lib64, and 32 bits libs in /lib. Any ideas on how
> can
> we implement this in sorcery? I know I might be asking too much, when even
> INSTALL_ROOT isn't honored by all spells, but one can always hope...

We could add another optional flag to the archspecs that specifies this is a
64-bit architecture we're compiling for.

64BIT={on|off|true|false|} ?

If that flag is on|true then Sorcery could (could it?) set the lib directory
/lib64 /usr/lib64 instead of /lib and /usr/lib, respectively. How would we go
about adding those directories to /etc/ld.so.conf properly? Should Sorcery
modify that every time an architecture is chose? If you chose a 64-bit arch,
should it change to link against the 64-bit directories, and then if you
change
to a non-64-bit use the normal directories?

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61