sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Help needed

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L" <lejatorn AT linuxmail.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: Marketing SMGL: Competitors and differences? Help needed
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:46:42 +0000

> We have never been interested in topping Gentoo (at least I never saw
> that as a mission statement while I was PL)... I would rather aim our
> distro as far away from their targets, ideas and behavioural pattern as
> possible.
>
> This does not mean we can't do this marketing push, but I hope that
> there will be much thought given to what we really are about (shame to
> lose our identity if you ask me). I realize that this is what you are
> now attempting to do, I just see the focus being a bit too much with
> Gentoo and not enough on what we are about.
>
> I don't mean any sort of flame about your work, it is definatly a start.
> You made me think and respond so that is good! ;-) I may also be alone
> or in the minority with my opinions, but I toss them out there for
> discussion and as input into your process.
>
> Carry on and I watch here from the sidelines with eager eyes,
>
> erics

-->agreed, I really like the actual ¨friendly¨ (some would even say
¨familial¨) spirit of smgl and I think it's one of its main advantages.
I realize this is more due to the IRC chans than to the distro itself
but I believe the two of them are strongly coupled in a way.

Choice, customization and optimisation are to me what smgl is about and
why I will stick to it as long as I feel those are the main features
of smgl.

As for the source-based argument, I also think it's not a goal by
itself but it definitely is the best choice to achieve the above
objectives.(though I'm not convinced it leads to faster binaries and
a whole system faster too.)

\Lejatorn.

We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.