sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: Marketing SMGL: Bringing in the crowds

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: Marketing SMGL: Bringing in the crowds
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:57:41 +0200

Mathieu L wrote:

Sorry if I'm way out of here but I don't really understand why a marketing
plan is needed?
I had the impression that new users come regularly and then some of them
slowly but surely eventually become devs...
Isn't that true? and if it's true, isn't that the researched goal?
I understand that there may be some hosting problems as it's also discussed
at the moment but besides that I didn't see any problems with the way
SourceMage is growing and developping...
Actually I'm even impressed how fast it is improving but perhaps it's because
I was using Debian before ;).
Could you enlight me about that please?

One good reason is this, straight from the webpage (http://sourcemage.org/info/help/needs.html):
"At the current moment, our biggest need is people. We need more Grimoire Gurus, Sorcery Hackers (bash scripters), and Security Team members. If you find any of those positions to interest you, then look at the many ways you can join us <http://www.sourcemage.org/info/help/join.html>."

For my own reasons bringing this up:
1. I am a little worried about sourcemage since I feel that we may not yet have achived a critical mass. What I mean is that the project is still vulnerable and might take some heavy/lethal damage if cretain key individuals leave. There is simply not enogh people available to fill vacated spaces. I don't like this feeling when I'm deploying servers with SMGL. I'm sure this also is true for other people who use SMGL commercially.
2. There is simply is not enough people to even fill the vacant slots.
3. Quality. This is a sensitive issue, so please be objective and don't take offense. Selecting 1 out of 100 people to fill a vacant slot instead of 1 out of 5 probably results in a better suited individual getting appointed.
4. More end users: 1000 people reporting bugs is better than 100.
5. Ego, we all have it. Running a larger, more well known distro is probably more attractive.
6. This is one area where I can do my share :)

\Lejatorn.
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.

MVH

Jaanus Heeringson

Underwerks Design
Ålegådsgatan 424