sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Server Move . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Server Move . . .
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:40:29 -0700

Maybe we can split up everything so it's not all on one server. For
example, I know I can help out in some ways (like nameservers), but due
to my not being rich and somewhat limited bandwidth, if we are to grow,
we can't rely on my resources for everything. However, I'm sure we
together have enough resources to go around. Somebody can host
bugzilla, for example, another can host the front page and
announcements, another the forum, another the email lists. This of
course is difficult if we are going to use some fancy integrated CMS.

The robust approach can often be the decentralized one. Just something
to keep in mind.

For example, we can leave the iso download and main mirror on ibiblio's
server because it's working fine for that, I presume, as those take up
the most bandwidth.

The rest can be farmed out, or since bandwidth is so reduced, we can
host everything else on a single server with lower bandwidth capability.

Seth