sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] daylight savings?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] daylight savings?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:11:25 -0700

On Monday 12 April 2004 10:45 am, Casey Harkins wrote:
> Are you dual-booting with Windows? The ideal situation (in my opinion) is
> to keep your system clock in UTC time. Linux will then convert between UTC
> and your timezone automatically. This should handle daylight savings
> gracefully.
>
> Windows on the otherhand, insists on storing the system time in the local
> time format. Linux will happily let you do this, but then the time needs
> to be adjusted at daylight savings time. Windows will do this for you
> automatically, and there may be Linux applications out there to do this
> automatically as well. However, if you are dual-booting, there is no way
> for either OS to know if the other has already adjusted, so you'd better
> only have one or the other set up to automatically adjust.
>
> Personally, I rarely boot into windows and don't really care if the time
> is off. So I keep my system time stored in UTC, and have Windows set up to
> *not* adjust for daylight savings automatically. The time on the Linux
> side is always correct, while the time on the Windows side is always
> showing the UTC time.
>
> The /etc/sysconfig/hwclock file sets up how Linux should use the system
> clock (UTC=yes or UTC=no). The file /etc/localtime should be a symlink to
> the correct timezone file.
>
> casey@brak:~$ cat /etc/sysconfig/hwclock
> # does the hardware clock store the time in UTC
> UTC=yes
>
> casey@brak:~$ ls -l /etc/localtime
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 30 16:10 /etc/localtime ->
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> -casey

Um, I have a single boot system (Source Mage only), the time is set for local
not UTC, and it automatically reset the time for me. I am running KDE, so
that may have been what did the time adjustment.

I don't think the time zone has anything to do with it, unless it's set for
some place like Arizona, which doesn't do day light savings time.

Also, my /etc/localtime is not a link, but it appears to be a copy of the
specific time zone file.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)