sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] daylight savings?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] daylight savings?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:45:58 -0500 (CDT)

Are you dual-booting with Windows? The ideal situation (in my opinion) is
to keep your system clock in UTC time. Linux will then convert between UTC
and your timezone automatically. This should handle daylight savings
gracefully.

Windows on the otherhand, insists on storing the system time in the local
time format. Linux will happily let you do this, but then the time needs
to be adjusted at daylight savings time. Windows will do this for you
automatically, and there may be Linux applications out there to do this
automatically as well. However, if you are dual-booting, there is no way
for either OS to know if the other has already adjusted, so you'd better
only have one or the other set up to automatically adjust.

Personally, I rarely boot into windows and don't really care if the time
is off. So I keep my system time stored in UTC, and have Windows set up to
*not* adjust for daylight savings automatically. The time on the Linux
side is always correct, while the time on the Windows side is always
showing the UTC time.

The /etc/sysconfig/hwclock file sets up how Linux should use the system
clock (UTC=yes or UTC=no). The file /etc/localtime should be a symlink to
the correct timezone file.

casey@brak:~$ cat /etc/sysconfig/hwclock
# does the hardware clock store the time in UTC
UTC=yes

casey@brak:~$ ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 30 16:10 /etc/localtime ->
/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central

Hope this helps.

-casey