sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] List closures

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Terry Ross <terry AT timestorm.ross.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] List closures
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:03:33 -0800

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:01:59 -0800
Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:

> Quoting Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>:
> > I will do my best to get this done today. I'm currently emptying my
> > storage
> >
> > unit (stopped in for a little shade and cool water) and am rather dusty,
> > ATM,
> >
> > so I'm trying not to touch the keyboard and mouse too much. :^)
>
> /me avoids Jason
>
> > While I'm at it, I'm going to update the IRC list. Rycee says
> > smgl-scandinavia and smgl-newbies can go. Does anyone have any
> > objections to
> >
> > that and/or have any other rarely or never used channels that can also
> > go?
> > Also, I'd like to standardize the naming. I suspect that may be more
> > difficult, and will probably require a transition period. (I am still
> > rather
> >
> > an IRC newbie, so I could be wrong.) I would like all of the channel
> > names
> > to start with "sourcemage-" or "smgl-" (I'd prefer the first, as it's the
> > name of the main and most used channel). That way all channels will have
> > consistent naming and they will be grouped together when folks ask for a
> > list
> >
> > of available channels.
>
> #grimoire-gurus isn't used much either, but I'd like it to be used in the
> future
> (we can always recreate, and it has the wrong naming scheme. ;)). And
> though I
> love the bot, I hate #smgl-newbies as almost no one is in there and new
> users
> are often redirected to #sourcemage anyways.
>
> I say all channels should be prepended with "sourcemage" as not only is
> that the
> name of our distro, but #sourcemage is already the most used channel and I'd
> hate to change it. ;)
>
> Proposed channels:
> #sourcemage
> #sourcemage-<language> Perhaps just -fr and -de for now?
> #sourcemage-<architecture besides x86> We have a PPC ISO and are working
> on a
> SPARC, so -ppc and -sparc?
> #sourcemage-admin For meetings. Perhaps name it -meeting
> instead?
>
> > Comments, suggestions, rants?
>
> There's not enough time in a day, and why do I have to waste it sleeping?!
> ;)
>
> -sandalle

Well, as far as the trivia/flashcard bot goes, it has been moved off of
#smgl-newbies ... a few months ago, someone registered a channel called
#smgl-trivia and it has been sitting there as I add data to the general,
linux, and SMGL trivia files. It's easy to switch it to another channel (or
get rid of it period, if that's what people want) once decisions are made.

Terry

--
Terry Ross | qnr | <terry AT aliboom.com> | http://linux.aliboom.com
GnuPG Key fingerprint = AC11 C1C3 0371 D4E6 50CD 1285 D041 AD9F 68C4 06C2