sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc error

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: tjolson AT verizon.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc error
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:40:45 -0500

On 19 Mar 2004 at 12:10, <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Just out of curiosity I recompiled gcc against the binutils in the
> grimoire and it won't work, I just recompiled binutils 2.14 and am
> waiting for gcc to finish compiling.

I read this post, wondering if it was wishful thinking, or could glibc have
been
part of my installation nightmares.

I'm still trying to get through my first successful install with the 0.9.2
iso using
the "Install from newer ISO" instructions. I was having troubles compiling
glibc, due to a missing shared library(libintl.so.2), which we thought was
due
to me doing a copy of the kernel during the install vs. a compile. I compiled
the kernel, but the library was still missing. Another list-member suggested
create a symlink to a different library. That appeared to fix that issue.

I updated sorcery and grimoire, recompiled binutils, gcc, gettext and glibc,
then did the "sorcery rebuild"

Question: Why was binutils, gcc, gettext and glibc, linux recompiled as part
of the "rebuild", since they had just been compiled? Does that make sense?

Things seemed to be going fine till I hit glibc in the rebuild. I believe it
was
the last item to be compiled, but spit out an error right near the end that
jumped out at me:

/tmp/sorcery/cast/3277/casting.safe in line 1598: 4096 segmentation fault

Then sorcery notified me that: diffutils, simpleinit-msb, linux, glibc, wget
and
pcmcia_cs had compile errors, too.

It also mentioned that the following still had to be cast, but showed no
program names, which I thought was odd.

After that, any casts that I did, I tried wget and pcmcia_cs failed.
Unfortunately, I did not note the messages.

Even more unfortunate was that I rebooted. I guess the failed compile of
simpleinit-msb, blew away inittab, since it could not be found. I rebooted
from CD, tried to find a reasonable inittab to replace the missing one, but I
guess it wasn't resonable enough, because although inittab was now found,
init would just hang. So, I tried to recover, but unsuccessfully. :-)

So, I've started another install and I'm waiting while the kernel compiles....

Question: With this new thread on a possible "glibc" problem, could this
have influenced my earlier problems? Should I even bother to continue this
install, or wait until Jeremy's compile of gcc finishes and see how it works?
If a new glibc does help things, how would I get it in the context of working
within the "Source Mage" infrastructure?

Thanks,
Tom