sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree86 etc.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree86 etc.
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:30:44 +0100

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 05:27:32PM -0600, John Copeland wrote:
> Can someone tell me what the relationship is with spells:
> xfree86
> xfree86-devel
> xfree86-libs
>
> I read all the messages when xfree-libs was introduced, but the whole thing
> is
> clear as mud. Is xfree86-libs a subset of xfree86? Is this an attempt to
> divide xfree86 into two pieces, Xserver and Xlibs or what? Do I just
> install
> xfree86 to get X or what?
> Thanks,JohnC

xfree86-libs are only the xfree libs, conflicting with xfree86.
Basically only useful if you want to have a headless box that doesn't
run an X server but want to be able to compile X apps (to run remotely).
xfree86-devel is a development snapshot of xfree, xfree86 is the normal
thing. So if you just want a X server + libs, cast xfree86.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video