sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] thoughts about default kernel branch (moving to 2.6.x somewhen)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] thoughts about default kernel branch (moving to 2.6.x somewhen)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:03:13 -0800

Quoting Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>:
> As far as i can tell there are less and less problems with 2.6.x kernels.
> I myself switched my work system to 2.6.x when 2.6.2 got released, and with
> my
> new glibc i burned the bridges behind me.
>
> So when shall we use 2.6.x as default for the linux spell and the iso?
>
> We shouldn't do it to early, but propably shouldn't wait too long either.
>
> I for myself belive that things work well enough to switch test grimoire to
> 2.6.x kernels soon (within the next weeks). And stable somewhen later when
> it's save. This doesn't mean that users have to upgrade, it's more about
> what
>
> shall be default. However, a user should not run into too much troubles when
>
> using the default :-)
>
> So - Which kernels are you running, and which problems did you run into
> because of your kernel?
>
> Worf

All of my machines (except my server) have been using 2.6 for at least a few
weeks now (some since 2.6.0-test1 came out), and NPTL since it was enabled in
glibc (great work, by the way!). I'd like to see 2.6 as the default along with
an ISO (but after 1.0 most likely) as 2.6 fixes quite a few problems and is
/really/ fast.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61