sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] thoughts about default kernel branch (moving to 2.6.x somewhen)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] thoughts about default kernel branch (moving to 2.6.x somewhen)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:30:34 +0100

As far as i can tell there are less and less problems with 2.6.x kernels.
I myself switched my work system to 2.6.x when 2.6.2 got released, and with
my
new glibc i burned the bridges behind me.

So when shall we use 2.6.x as default for the linux spell and the iso?

We shouldn't do it to early, but propably shouldn't wait too long either.

I for myself belive that things work well enough to switch test grimoire to
2.6.x kernels soon (within the next weeks). And stable somewhen later when
it's save. This doesn't mean that users have to upgrade, it's more about what
shall be default. However, a user should not run into too much troubles when
using the default :-)

So - Which kernels are you running, and which problems did you run into
because of your kernel?

Worf