sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kernel options

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: "S. Barret Dolph" <wheds8 AT ms66.hinet.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kernel options
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:34:03 -0800

Adding the list into CC. ;)

Quoting "S. Barret Dolph" <wheds8 AT ms66.hinet.net>:
> The main menu for installing SM. For me, I guessed that my setup was not so
> unusual and the kernel options looked like options. To get to that section
> you must press the disable menu button. It seems like the extended menu
> should show all the time.
>
> > Which menu is disabled?

I'm not sure I'm understanding which menu is disabled, as none are (IIRC). I
haven't installed in a while, so my memory is a bit rusty. ;) Perhaps someone
more familiar with the ISO can comment?

> > What kernel options are you talking about? Things such as "ide1=ide-scsi"
> > if you have a CDRW on ide1 and want it to use the SCSI drivers? For hard
> > disks, I don't believe you need any SCSI options. (I don't here with my
> > SCSI drives).
>
> I did with my SCSI. I have the Adaptec 7 something something and it needs to
>
> be loaded with the kernel and not as a module. But what hardware is unusual
> and which is not is not something I have any idea about. In fact it would be

Can't it still be loaded as a module and loaded on boot? Did the ISO work
fine,
but when you reboot you didn't have SCSI access? If the latter, then we need
copy the ISO's initrd image to the installed system when installing and enable
it in /etc/lilo.conf (there's been some discussion about doing this anyways).
If the former, then that's normal; you have to manually load the modules
needed
on the ISO for your hardware (we do not have auto-detection yet, but it's been
worked on a bit, and talked about. Volunteers? ;)).

> nice to have my computer set up only for my own hardware.
> >
> > > Also, is it not a good idea to reboot after using cfdisk? If so maybe
> > > that should be mentioned. Or I could just have old information.
> >
> > You only need to reboot for DOS (MS-DOS, PC-DOS, etc.), Fat32, NTFS, etc.
> > partitions, not for most *nix partitions.
>
> Ok. I set up this box about five years ago and many things I have forgotten.
>
> It is too bad that Linux is so stable. Remembering how to install can take
> some time.

If you find anything that should be added to our documentation, please tell us
and we'll work on updating it. You can use http://bugs.sourcemage.org/ to file
a documentation bug and someone should get to it.

> Anyhow,
> Thanks for the patience of this group. I hope that SM can strike a balance
> between saying too much and too little. I found the Gentoo setup to be good
> but there documentation was a bit verbose. It was, however, quite nice to
> alt
>
> F1 toget to an installation document. On the other hand the SM iso is nice
> and small. Maybe a downloadable pdf version of the website installation
> thing
>
> would be nice. I have a laptop which I just plug in so I don't need it but
> we
>
> are not all so fortunate.

And thank you for your tenacity in trying to get SMGL installed. I've never
had
any problems like this installing, but my hardware is fairly common (IDE all
the way, except one machine that has SCSI, and that went fine as well). If you
stay around I'm sure we can get SMGL installed on your machine, either by
releasing a fixed ISO or by figuring out what's going wrong on your machine
(if
it's not the ISO), or even both. :)

You could file an enhancement bug against the ISO for the ALT-* feature, I
don't
believe it would take any noticeable space on the ISO. Our future ISOs (I
believe the 0.8.1 ISO has it) will include a "Installation Instructions" (or
some suchly named menu item) in the menus which has our installation
instructions. A PDF wouldn't be a good idea on the ISO as there is no X to
read
(unless you're one of the luckies as mentioned ;)), but text files would be
good (the menu item above should be enough for that).

> Cordially,
> S. Barret Dolph

Thanks for the input. :)

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61