sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Slice of History . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Slice of History . . .
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:22:13 -0800

Quoting Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>:
> There has now been, for the second time in the last few months, a question
> about the name of our distribution. When the name change was finalized, all
>
> of our public interfaces (mail lists, Web sites, etc.) also changed and none
>
> of the existing public interfaces have any of the history from before the
> name change.
>
> I may be wrong, but as I remember it, the name that won the vote was "Source
>
> Mage GNU/Linux". I remember it so vividly, because I voted against it.
> :^)
>
> (And the guy who wanted it so much is no longer with us.) I thought the
> name
>
> stunk and I wanted something else. (I was also not very pleased with any of
>
> the offerings, but failed to come up with anything better, so here I
> stand.)
>
> Despite the fact that I voted against it, I now defend it whenever it is
> questioned or challenged.
>
> What I'm looking for now is if there is anyone out there who was wise (or
> smart, or lucky, or...) enough to save some or all of our history. I'm only
>
> interested in the time period from when our first fearless leader went into
> isolation (ahem -- deep coding) to when then name change took effect. I
> think we should, if possible, try to reintegrated it back into our existing
> public interface or at least provide a place on the Web site or Wiki where
> the information can be publicly accessed.
>
> What say you?

I think that this is a great idea! However, I didn't have my server at the
time
and was in the habit of formatting my drive quite often (trying the new ISO's.
;)), so I only have the third month of 2002 for the SGL lists
(hvs.envisage.co.za) (which is right after everything was pulled by the
aforementioned leader), and everything since the fourth month of 2002 for our
new SGL lists (sorcerylinux.org), if any of that would help.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61