sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SATA drives

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • To: "Craig Dyke" <grail AT westnet.com.au>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SATA drives
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:45:23 -0500

On Friday 26 September 2003 09:40 pm, Craig Dyke wrote:
Hi Craig,
I have SATA Western Digital working very well under kernel 2.4.22. I use
motherboard Abit NF7-S which has the Sil3112a controller. Earlier kernel
versions would, 2.4.21, would recognize the SIL3112A controller, but leave
the disk in PIO mode. 2.4.22 recognizes the controller and sets it to
UDMA-133. You have to rebuild the kernel and set all the Nvidia configs in
"make menuconfig" to get it to work right. The NF7-S mobo has the nforce2
chipset for which 2.4.22 has native support.

Only problem with the SATA is the disk busy LED will not light when disk is
busy! Funny thing is Win2K does light the LED when accessing the SATA disk.

Probably a problem in the SIL3112A driver. Don't know.

JohnC
Powderly, Texas