sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] broken links

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] broken links
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:31:10 -0700

> Oh and two bugs were fixed yesterday.
> 1) a fallback_url for download.soucemage.org was wrong and
> 2) the ftp fallback_url wasn't working due to timstamp checking issues and
> wget
> so now even if a link is broken it should fallback to one of five valid
> mirrors.(including warloks which seems to be missing most packages)
> But still I am sure it would be hel;pful to have a URL guru :)

Ive been meaning to bring this up, currently the way things work is
one fallback url is choosen if the file cant be found elsewhere, this
works fine if all the mirrors have everything, but sometimes they dont
(not pointing any fingers) I think that maybe instead of choosing one
fallback, we should choose each fallback in a random order until we
find the file or run out of fallbacks. That way if i dont have a file
for whatever reason, but swoolley does, then it will continue on to his
server. I think its much less error prone that way, and removes the
single point of failure that has come up.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |