sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated menu-generating with invoke

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Automated menu-generating with invoke
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:11:28 +0200

On 10/09/03 23.23, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
> As you might know, I have written a script which (should) generate menus
> from all installed spells.

A good idea.

> I would like to start a discussion about the functions and fundamentals
> of this script.
> So this is the status quo:
> - All grimoires->sections->spells are made into folders, then for all
> installed spells we look through the install log, and all files will
> be tested on:
> + executable bit set
> + not a directory
> + `file $thisfile` says the file is executable
> when all these tests are successful, then the file will be made into a
> menu entry.
> - Additionally, for each entry, it is saved whether it should be started
> in an xterm. The initial state for this is determined by testing if
> `ldd $thisfile` says libX11 is linked in

Good idea, but you need to consider such applications as mozilla,
which are started by shellscripts. Also, are you adding any options to
the xterm commandline (besides '-e executable')? E.g. -title, -name,
-class, or others - having specific classes for the xterms would ease
customization.

> - The menu is saved centrally in an internal format, can be edited, and
> menus generated from it.
>
> The "heuristics" used for making an initial menu are horrible,
> but we don't have anything better right now. A suggestion is we add
> .desktop file(s) to each spell, from which everything is generated.

How about the MENU_(ITEM|EXEC|DESC) fields in spells (I don't think
they are everywhere, but e.g. emacs has one), could they be useful?
Perhaps there should also be a way to _avoid_ having a menuentry (say
for something like ssh or gpg password entry programs and the gods
knows how many executables that only works from a commandline.

> Also, nearly no WMs are supported yet (only blackbox & openbox, xfce4,
> IceWM) I will need volunteers here that tell me what format menus for
> the other WMs have

I'm on IceWM, so no real help there.

/dossen
--
"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
-- Karl Lehenbauer