sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery-devel & new init

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery-devel & new init
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:58:44 +0200

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 02:45:39PM -0500, John T Copeland wrote:
> I already have devfs, devfsd, inittab and fstab changed, and devfs=mount in
> lilo.conf. From the discussion it appears that init will also convert from
> /devices to /dev if you want/need to. Do I answer yes/no to any related
> question from the spell since I have devfs already installed?

Say 'yes' to the devfs on /dev question, since that will set an option
in /etc/sysconfig/devices (that file will be installed by init.d) and
setup the new inittab correctly. If it doesn't ask you about devfs
(because you already deleted /devices), then make sure to edit
/etc/inittab to use devfs naming and edit /etc/sysconfig/devices to say
DEVICES=/dev after casting init.d

> The wiki and sm-discuss say I need to install sorcery-devel before casting
> init.d. Do I get sorcery-devel from download.sourcemage.org or somewhere
> else? I remember Eric Schabell posting a message about this but I can't
> seem
> to find it now. Any special instructions for installing the sorcery-devel
> tarball? I usually do 'sorcery update'.

go to the sorcery menu -> Options -> Sorcery Branch, choose devel, exit,
do a sorcery update.

> BTW I am on the test grimoire, and I guess I need to get fresh update to
> get
> the latest init.d spell, right?

Definitely do a 'scribe update' before doing it, the test grimoire is
always getting new fixes and updates (not only for the new init) :)

> Anything else I need to know?

The switch should be pretty painless by now, after the switch you should
either do a 'sorcery system-update'/'sorcery queue; cast --queue' or
recast the spells that install init scripts by hand to get all services
started.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video