sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] trial upgrade to simpleinit (good) results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] trial upgrade to simpleinit (good) results
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:15:29 -0400

Hi All,

I've just survived a `sorcery system-update' being on devel sorcery and grimoire. I must say that the simpleinit thing is awfully cool, hats off to all who made this possible!
I didn't update since simpleinit work moved into mainstream, so I consider this a valid test of how things will work our for users.
Minor issues: 1) coreutils didn't install by itself, I didn't have it before but I expected it to be cast because it's part of the basesystem now (or is it?); 2) upon shutdown, `kill' produces an error once, with a help message, I didn't investigate; 3) network seems to start twice because I can see twice the message about my NIC being assigned an IP address by DHCP, one right after another, which wasn't the case before simpleinit (the card appears to be working fine).
Things that I had to do by myself:
a) edit lilo.conf to accomodate devfs, because I agreed to use devfs for /dev during the update; later I recast the kernel to load devfs automatically, and threw out the append="..." line from lilo.conf;
b) cast coreutils;
c) recast gdm2 with "-c -r" ot make it install a runlevel 5 script;
d) restore my default runlevel 5 by editing /etc/sysconfig/init;
e) add the following to devfsd.conf (after http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/dsp_devfsd.txt):
# Fix permissions for sound devices
REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 0660
All the services start and everything seems to be fine. I didn't have nfs-utils so on every boot I get a correct message about no provider for portmap. I've cast nfs-utils, will see how this works out, but there should be no problem.
ALl in all, this was *way* less painful than I imagined, extremely nice and solid piece of work guys!
Thank you!

Sergey.