sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] dev to devices swapover ver 0.1

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] dev to devices swapover ver 0.1
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:46:50 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 08:51:14PM -0500, Casey Harkins wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Jack Bertram wrote:
> >
> > If this change goes through, then I won't be able to take the risk
> > of upgrading my system - I've had it broken by too many things before
> > to do so. So I'll end up becoming more and more incompatible with
> > the default SMGL install, until I finally give up and reinstall.
> >

> I too have been bitten a few times and considered switching myself.
> However, I only see things getting better and hopefully the frequency of
> these kinds of changes will decrease with time.

The frequency of such major changes will definitely decrease. We are
still on the way to 1.0, i think once we reached 1.0, we will have made
most big changes we'd like to see in Sourcemage.

> I do feel however, that they've covered backwards compatability enough
> that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone. I'll admit now that I've not
> read each message in this thread intently, but from what I gather:
>
> 1) You will not be forced to use devfs over /dev, this is the point of
> adding the /etc/sysconfig/devices file. The only major change that will
> occur if you opt not to use devfs over devices, is you'll get an updated
> mount.sh script and a line will be added to /etc/sysconfig/devices
> pointing to /devices.

It will be optional, with the default probably being not to switch.

> 2) If you do use devfs over /dev, a symlink will be created from /devices
> to /dev to eleviate any straggling config files that are still pointing to
> /devices.

The change is intended to automatically change fstab, inittab and
/etc/securettys (for PAM), so the /devices -> /dev symlink will be there
(configurable) mostly for configs the user changed himself. Spells that
need device names will be changed to detect wether /dev is used as devfs
and change accordingly.