sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] dev to devices swapover ver 0.1

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] dev to devices swapover ver 0.1
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:15:35 +0200

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:03:12PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> Okay heres my first go at it. I modified the spell in CONFIGURE and BUILD,
> and marked both areas very clearly. I also modified mount[.sh]. In order
> to keep things straight I added a file in /etc/sysconfig called devices,
> its a sourceable file that sets the variable DEVICES (its either /dev
> or /devices), that way anyone who needs to know where devfs is can just
> source that file (ie alsa-drivers). I also made devfsd an optional depends.

An easy check whether devfsd is used or not is to check for the file
/dev/.devfsd, it is created by devfs when its mounted.

> mount and mount.sh were modified to use /etc/sysconfig/devices and to
> use devfsd if its floating around.
>
> this doesnt do a whole lot, and you should back stuff up first in case
> i blow something away (although I shouldnt).
>
> feel free to fix things up and mail a new copy to the list or to me,
> its easier than telling me what to do (Im not that great at bash).
>
> todo: (if you can figure either of these out, please help)
>
> making a symlink from /devices to /dev, while /devices is mounted and
> stuff (maybe do this in mount/mount.sh)
>
> those automount devfs at boot people

[ ! -d $DEVICES ] || mount -n -t devfs devfs $DEVICES
make that line
[ ! -d $DEVICES ] || [ -e $DEVICES/.devfsd ] || mount -n -t
devfs devfs $DEVICES

that way devfs will only be mounted if it isn't mounted already.