sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] fontconfig and gnome

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] fontconfig and gnome
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:09:39 +0200

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 05:01:21PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Duane Malcolm said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently installed gnome. X started fine but gdm wouldn't. I did a bit
> > of research knowing it was a font problem and I found the font
> > path(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts) wasn't included in the
> > /etc/fonts/local.conf file. So I put this in and it worked fine.
> >
> > Is this something casting should do?? Or is it expected common knowledge?
> >
> > Duane
>
> It isn't common knowledge, I haven't modified my /etc/fonts/local.conf at
> all and it works for me. Probably a spell should be taking care of this
> (fontconfig, IIRC). May want to try 'cast -r -c fontconfig' and see if it
> fixes the problem (well, you already fixed it, but... ;)).
>
> -sandalle

Fontconfig doesn't take care of it, it did for some time, but then the
author decided that non scalable fonts like the X bitmap fonts shouldn't
be listed by fontconfig and removed them from the default config.
Gdm should definitely not need them anyway. fontconfig puts
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 in
it's default config if it finds any fonts there. That should be enough
to run gdm2.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video