sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Version reporting

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Spencer Ogden <spencero AT mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Version reporting
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 00:17:49 -0600

I think this may have come up before, but I thought I would throw it out
there anyway. Would it be possible to have some sort of reporting to a
central location of successful compiles? Here is what I am thinking...

I don't have CVS access, and I'm not sure I want it, but I do maintain
custom versions of a few spells which either aren't in the grimoire or the
grimoire versions are old. So I am thinking it would be nice to have an
easy way to let maintainers know the latest version of a spell which is
successfully working. Maybe upon a successful compile, if it is an
upgrade, a central list is checked. This list contains spell names with
versions. If the version just compiled locally is greater, then update the
list and optionally mail the spell used to the maintatiner. This would
allow me to modify a spell locally, and if it successful, easily notify
the maintainer that an upgrade is availible. And with the central list the
maintainer would only get notified once. I would see this as an opt-in
system which could be turned on if wanted.

Stupid idea?

Spencer