sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Admin Meeting Agenda - Sunday, 22 December.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jack Bertram <jack AT jbertram.net>
  • To: Sourcemage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Admin Meeting Agenda - Sunday, 22 December.
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:09:00 +0000

* nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com> [021222 00:40]:
> Jack Bertram wrote:
> >* nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com> [021221 18:41]:
> >
> >>This is why I always opted for posting the time in UTC (Coordinated
> >>Universal Time), which doesn't change for daylight savings, etc. GMT is
> >>NOT the same as UTC, but usually is.
> >

> >No, this isn't right. GMT doesn't change for daylight saving time. The
> >difference is that GMT is based on the Earth's rotation, whereas UTC is
> >based on the atomic clock. Since 1986 UTC has been the offical world
> >basis of time (for scientific purposes), not GMT, but they don't differ
> >by very much (seconds, I believe)
> >
> >Timezones are still expressed as differences from GMT.
>
> Hmmm... I could have sworn one of our fellow users from London said
> differently, but I havent' been over there in jeez... 20 years or so.

There's a natural tendency in this country (I'm a Londoner) to assume
that we're the centre of the universe! We use two different times in
Britain; GMT in the winter, and BST (British Summer Time) in the summer.
BST is 1 hour forward from GMT.

> Whatever works, as long as everyone shows up who needs to.

Yup.

jack