sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Admin Meeting Agenda - Sunday, 22 December.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jack Bertram <jack AT jbertram.net>
  • To: Sourcemage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Source Mage Admin Meeting Agenda - Sunday, 22 December.
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:25:44 +0000

* nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com> [021221 18:41]:
> This is why I always opted for posting the time in UTC (Coordinated
> Universal Time), which doesn't change for daylight savings, etc. GMT is
> NOT the same as UTC, but usually is.

No, this isn't right. GMT doesn't change for daylight saving time. The
difference is that GMT is based on the Earth's rotation, whereas UTC is
based on the atomic clock. Since 1986 UTC has been the offical world
basis of time (for scientific purposes), not GMT, but they don't differ
by very much (seconds, I believe)

Timezones are still expressed as differences from GMT.

jack