sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ncurses, slang, and gcc, oh my!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
  • To: "Jimmy Yen(???)" <root AT yhjworks.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ncurses, slang, and gcc, oh my!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:01:45 +0100

Hi

JY> It came to me that it may be possible to check the file names of
JY> the header files each existing spell updates, and recast gcc if
JY> there's a match with its modified header files.

That won't do it. If foo-1.0.0 installs headers which don't get fixed
it doesn't mean that foo-1.0.1 headers will not get fixed either. So
it would be necessary to recast gcc after every cast that installs any
headers.

JY> I think we should either recast gcc
JY> constantly (which seems really impractical,) or don't let gcc
JY> store the fixed headers at all. Removing the gcc-modified headers
JY> directly when casting gcc can make our life a lot easier, if it's
JY> OK to do so.

I have already modified the gcc spell to ask whether fixed includes
should be installed. (There is a make target for that; no need to
remove fixed includes manually.)

If this does not cause major problems I will make it the default.

Julian