sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc aarrggh

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc aarrggh
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:34:46 -0800 (PST)

Jack Bertram said:
> Thanks for the prompt response. Are you sure that this solution would
> have worked for me? - I couldn't launch any programs at all because of
> seg faults. Are 'make' etc compiled statically, then?

Well, mine didn't get to the segfault stage, but kept giving me GLIBC_2_0
and GLIBC_2_2 (or some such) errors during the spells' 'make install', and
those instructions have always worked for me when upgrading machines to
glibc 2.3.1.

> Oh, absolutely. The difficulty is knowing which spells are
> troublespots. Thanks for the warning!
>
> Another point though - I notice that 'gaze version' tells me that
> gettext is at 0.11.2, although the grimoire version is 0.11.5. Why
> doesn't sorcery -queue put 'gettext' in the queue?
>
> And once I manually upgrade gettext, will I have to cast glibc again??!

Well, it should be taken care of by an updated UPDATED in glibc, but it
has been reported that this is not the case, so you may want to make sure
that glibc is done _after_ gettext (it doesn't hurt to have it done
before, but you'll have to recompile again afterwards anyways, so why do
it twice? ;)).

Also, the glibc problem only pops up when upgrading from 2.2.5->2.3.1, and
once you have 2.3.1 installed (whether with only the manual 'make install'
or also with recasting afterwards) any further casts of glibc go
flawlessly.

> Cheers,
> jack

-One of Four