sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery purists do not read!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • Cc: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>, SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery purists do not read!
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:10:37 -0500

Just a couple of notes. Versions in spell (directory) names are quite difficult to version-track. Then, even though advanced systems like Perforce can handle it, exported grimoire would include too many similar files. Also, zsh still doesn't have hashes and multi-dimensional arrays, or does it? I'm also wondering what might zsh have that bash doesn't in various ${} var expansion constructs?

Mark Andrews wrote:

I've included versions in the spell names and moved the generic spell
name (linux etc) into a variable in the details file and I'm using a
flat grimoire. So the above would be from a grimoire/linux-2.4.20 spell.

D> So in order to cast a spell your scripts have to look through all the
D> files in the flat grimoire to find the one with the SPELL=linux (or equiv)
D> line? Or do you always have the first part of the name being the spell?

The spell package is always named with the first part matching the
generic name. So I just check spells beginning with a match for the
actual variable. Multiple matches (linux-2.4.19, linux-2.4.20) are fed
into a select statement to let me choose the specific spell in
interactive mode. I'm planning on using a "locate" database for the
package tree to speed things up where needed.