sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.9.1 (RC2) Released!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.9.1 (RC2) Released!
  • Date: 15 Nov 2002 06:28:18 -0500

There are no tools, I've looked. It should not have taken that long...
In my tests the worst it should ever do is perhaps 5 mins. Was it doing
depends, or was it doing the basesystem check? The startup of any --fix
is slow, necessarily. If the basesytem spell is broken (ie no install
log) it recursivly checks its dependencies. Each recursive call, for
safeties sake, starts the --fix stuff again. This startup cost cannot be
avoided. It's being done by ld, not bash. In fact I wrote to sm-sorcery
a week or two ago about this issue (subject was something about a weird
line). It cannot be avoided. The best we can do is avoid the recursive
--fix calls.

Now, if it was not doing basesystem, there is no reason it should have
taken that long. A rebuild also starts with a similar cast --fix, these
aren't dependency checking either...

The slowest part of sorcery right now (other than the dialog interface)
is the fact that it has to run so many files, and search for so many
files. Some of this can be sped up using caching. In a rebuild, without
the depends checking, and before things actualy start to compile, I
would guess that <10% of the time is spent in bash. In the depends
checking, a lot of the slowness comes from sourcing spells. The
dependency checking is not a trivial operation in any language, however,
there are still changes that I plan on making to it to speed it up.