sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.9.1 (RC2) Released!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.9.1 (RC2) Released!
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:27:38 -0800

I dont want to sound like Im harping on the latest sorcery, but i just
did a sorcery system-update and the dependancies seemed to have taken a
really long time, and some of them got checked multiple times. Perhaps
we should use something more efficient at handling dependancy trees
for this? Im not saying switch languages, but perhaps have a specific
tool for dealing with them better, and have bash use this. I know we are
'feature frozen' as well. But my last sorcery rebuild spent a good 20-30
minutes twiddling dependancies for me. Clearly this should not happen
on a 1.4ghz processor with basically nothing going on. If I were a new
user to source mage, that would really trouble me, sure the list is
large and its a lot of stuff to deal with, but there must be a better way.

perhaps we could use some basic directed graph tool or something...

just a suggestion.
Andrew