sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] cpudetect v0.2.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] cpudetect v0.2.0
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:29:27 +0100

Hello All,

Please find attached v0.2.0 of my cpudetect stuff.

Changes:

Now works on any architecture!!!
- OK so most will just ask you to send me your cpuinfo ;-)
Now silent by default to integrate with Sorcery
Now supports USEGCC2 in Sorcery for fall back optimizations
Now supports extracting info from a file rather than /proc/cpuinfo
Enhanced CFLAGS output for gcc3
cpudetect*.tar now has directory "auto" containing all files
Sorcery Integrated and Independant. Works with or without Sorcery!

Known Bug:

When using from within sorcery (not recommended yet unless you are
brave and on ia32) cast throws a couple of grep: speedy: errors which
I haven't traced yet. This doesn't seem to affect functionality
though. I won't be touching the code until next week now - so if you
want a weekend project...

Standalone Usage:

autocpu [-v [filename]]

e.g.

autocpu -v # outputs the local machine results
cat /proc/cpuinfo > ~/mycpuinfo
autocpu -v ~/mycpuinfo # outputs the results of mycpuinfo

Sorcery Usage (experimental):

Copy the "auto" directory to your archspecs directory (usually
/var/lib/sorcery/archspecs)
Run sorcery and select [O]ption [O]ptimize Architecture
The autocpu entry should be there right at the top of the list.

This will work as a normal architecture selection except that the
correct processor name is used for cache files etc. ie:

minicom-2.00.0-athlon-xp-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2 instead of
minicom-2.00.0-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

(Spot the 'safe' test compile)

Questions:

The speedy setting for some processors was -O2 under gcc2 and -O3
under gcc3. They are all -O3 in autocpu. Do I need to allow this
fallback to -O2 on the speedy setting for gcc2 or not?

Believe it or not, this is my first bash script so I'd appreciate an
experienced eye giving my code the once over to see if I'm doing
anything silly or the long way round.

General feedback would also be appreciated, I took the silence after
v0.1.1 as a good sign, but it could just be that no-one tried it ;-)

601 Mac processor. I couldn't find gcc options for this. Anyone know
where I should be looking?

--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com