sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.8.2 (1.0 BETA3) Released!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.8.2 (1.0 BETA3) Released!
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:33:16 -0700

you shouldn need a full install from what i read. it looks bad i know.

youve rashed /var/state/packages
and apparently glibc.

to fix /var/state/packages theres a script in the cvs repository (http
accessable) that is able to rebuild the list for you. If glibc is really
gone, and im mean really gone, you shouldnt be able to execute anyprograms
(and thus not even boot), ive had this happen. In times past Ive used
the sorcery iso as a rescue disk. you can shell out once init is loaded
and copy the missing things over manually, or exit the guided menu and
just do the copy sorcery phase. At that point you just need to restore a
backup of the new sorcery, which is basically automatic, and a few choice
files like /var/state/packages. reboot into sorcery, i recast glibc by
hand. I also copy all of /lib (-modules) into /tmp/lib and stick that at
the bottom of /etc/ld.so.conf and rerun ldconfig. That way if everything
goes to hell, and glibc decides to hang itself, then you have a backup
sitting at the bottom of your ld cache. once thats done you can get rid of
the /lib backup and rerun ldconfig, then cast --fix everything else. Then
if anything was installed but sorcery doesnt know about it, then you
have to recast it probably, but thats far less time then a full reinstall.

sorry for the long winded answer but i hope it help.s