sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Versioning in dependencies

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
  • To: eric AT sandall.us
  • Cc: " Source Mage - Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Versioning in dependencies
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:57:27 +0200

Hi

ES> Here's an old horse. :) We need to be able to have our spells
ES> depend on versions (i.e. <=, ==, >=, !=, etc.), and not just on
ES> the spell. This will add quite the complexity to sorcery, but it
ES> is apparent that it will help things along.

This should not be done pretty soon IMHO. It is fairly hard (sometimes
impossible) to tell whether one version is bigger than the other.
Furthermore such deps would not be a big gain right now; you just get
the error message earlier. (sorcery would not be able to up /
downgrade required spells properly).

ES> May also help with certain spells requiring certain versions
ES> (i.e. no more USEGCC2 required, just have "depends gcc < 3.0" in
ES> your DEPENDS file).

That would not work (without a special check for gcc version deps in
sorcery which are independent from the other version checks). gcc and
gcc2 are completely different spells which install different stuff to
different places.

ES> Gentoo uses this fairly well, and I believe that if we want to
ES> keep going much further, we will need some way to implement this,
ES> and to have multiple versions installed.

Right now the biggest step forward would be a stable sorcery. We
should get 1.0 done and tested before we go after new major features.