sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Total install failure

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: "M.L." <m.l AT compaqnet.fr>
  • Cc: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Total install failure
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:28:07 -0700 (PDT)

I got that too.

I used the old, old sorcery ISO I installed from (before the "fork") to go
in and mount my root to /mnt, and /mnt/bin/tar around a bit until I found
that mount.sh was somehow "missing".

This mounting only in read only problem?

mount.sh in /etc/init.d is probably not there. So I found it in my devel
grimoire (still in rescue mode) using an ls -R | grep -B 8 mount.sh
(find was having linking problems, etc, etc, so I had to go back to
scripting it), and noticed that it was in
/var/lib/sorcery/codex/devel/sgl/init.d/mount.sh.bz2
run a /mnt/usr/bin/bzip2 -d mount.sh.bz2 on that and /mnt/bin/cp it to
/etc/init.d

Then rebooted and it still didn't work then I remembered the symbolic
links from rc?.d probably didn't exist anymore. Went back in, fixed
those (added K90mount -> ../init.d/mount.sh to rc0 and rc6 and S10mount ->
../init.d/mount.sh to rc1 through rc5, and I had to use /mnt/bin/ln to do
that, too since the old install cd didn't have it on it.

It was a fun half an hour.

I know I'm using devel, but can we be a "little" bit more careful? I
don't know whether or not it was the overheat crash my laptop had that
caused it to lose those files in the middle of an upgrade, so I can't
necessarily point the finger at anybody :), but I decided to add how I got
around it once I saw a few reports on the mailing lists and in forums.

I'll be idling in the irc as swoolley if anybody needs step-by-step
instructions on how to duplicate what I did :)

Seth